Insurance News – Avoid a costly breakdown!
Is your Air Conditioner properly maintained?
- The crankcase heater is usually a strap-on heater strip that’s attached to the bottom half of the compressor. At the beginning of the summer, energize the heater for at least 8 hours before starting up the compressor. You can check to see if it is energized with an ammeter or you can feel for heat with the back of your hand. Energizing the heater will minimize refrigerant getting into the oil.
- Dirt buildup can cause the machinery to work harder. The outside coils should be cleaned before start-up, and then again before the peak of the cooling season.
- Replace electrical contacts that are corroded or deteriorating. Don’t wait until they fail on a hot summer day when service companies are busiest!
- If the air conditioner’s indicator shows moisture in the system, have a serviceman vacuum the system and install new filters and driers. Be sure to identify the source of the moisture, which could be a leak.
- If the system has ever been serviced for low refrigerant, it’s likely to need continuous upkeep. Make sure all leaks have been identified and repaired.
- Leaks can not only affect the operation of the air conditioner, but they are harmful to the environment. Additives are available for refrigerant to make leaks easier to detect.
- Make sure air flow is not obstructed and that the air filters are changed regularly.
- Install surge-protection. Also, install a programmable thermostat to delay the compressor from restarting immediately after turning off, which can lead to burning out.
- Any change in normal operation is a warning sign. Call a technician if there are any changes in noise/ vibration, odor, oil/ water spots, temperature, speed, or pressure.
No person associated with this news letter receives any form of compensation for any products mentioned, nor should any mention of a particular product be considered an endorsement of that product. This newsletter is for informational purposes only and should not be considered authoritative on any topic. Please seek advice from an appropriate professional on any specific issue.